Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Welcome to my new Blog!

This blog is not meant to bash Margaret Cho, but to keep any interested parties up-to-date on the progress of our lawsuit(s) and depositions. It may just be an interesting insight into the entertainment industry, the legal process, or just a tool to keep me sane.

Margaret filed her complaint against me on Dec. 7th, 2005. I was served Monday night at my home, after a wonderful halibut dinner my husband cooked. Margaret is suing me for all commissions she paid me last year plus the money I made from promoting her Australian tour because I allegedly acted as an "unlicensed talent agency" when she went to London and when I helped with the details for appearances on behalf of causes and non-profit organizations she said she supported. These include: GLAAD, MoveOn, PFLAG, Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF), ACLU, a benefit for Trev Brody (that poor kid that got gay-bashed), an AIDS benefit, and a benefit for marriage equality (Wedrock), among others. Margaret accepted no money for any of these with the exception of the GLAAD appearance, for which she received AFTRA scale, because it was televised for the first time on the new LOGO network.In addition, she is refusing to pay me the remainder of the commissions she owes me from contracts entered into while I was her manager, including her most recent book, I Have Chosen To Stay and Fight, which ironically, she dedicated to me!

Margaret's litigator, Howard King -- referred to her by Bill Silva, (her new manager as of Aug 17, 2005) -- threatened that she would do this unless I gave up all control of the concert films owned by Cho Taussig Productions, Inc. and all revenues associated with her newest concert film, Assassin. Mr. King succesfully retrieved $2.1M in commissions on behalf of Arsenio Hall from his ex-manager a while back using this same approach (Hall v. X Management, Inc). He didn't do as well for Macy Gray (Natalie Hinds p/k/a Macy Gray vs. Lori Leve). The 28 London gigs mentioned in the complaint were promoted by Bill Silva, btw.

My response, what I'm filing against her, depositions (if I'm allowed), and random thoughts as to what the relationship Margaret and I had says about contemporary feminism, and how her success and/or lack thereof serves as a commentary on sexism and racism in our media and society in general, to follow.
javascript hit counter